The Transition Between Rehabilitation And General Life
Achieving sobriety is definitely an accomplishment which is incredible. However, remaining sober is another challenge by itself. Setting goals and adopting healthy hobbies can help you stay clean after you complete rehab.
An atmosphere with good social backing that enables users to maintain abstinence by encouragement of security and contentment is the rehabilitation centre.
It offers a safe and conducive environment to heal and recover from addiction.
Graduating from rehab can be very encouraging and light yet it also brings new challenges in maintaining the new found sobriety.
The best way to prevent relapse is by recognizing the triggers that might tempt you. Staying sober after leaving the facility becomes easier because of the education.
Managing Urges And Triggers Post Rehabilitation
The change to normal life after living in a rehab is something that is hard for many people.
One constantly gets more desires to use the drugs after they have left rehab.
Company of old acquaintances, being in the midst of old surroundings, and specific emotions might lure you into reaching out for the substance to which you were earlier addicted to.
However, there are activities that can divert your attention from the drugs such as
- Establish Positive Relationships and Support System
- Those that have been able to maintain abstinence for a long time and also want you to do the same, are individuals you should be socialising with.
- Locate a support group within your area or even someone you can rely upon to call when you feel the temptations again.
- Refresh Your Crowd and Everyday Surroundings
- You need to change the environment in a way that you don't get the urges to use the drugs again.
- You can also keep off environments where there drugs are being sold.
- Commit To Realistic And Achievable Goals
- It makes it less difficult to resist when enticed if there are objectives to follow.
- It makes sticking to abstinence simpler if there is a deep understanding of the advantages and good effects of being abstinent.
- Don't Miss Group Or Personal Therapy Sessions
- Make sure to complete all counselling sessions and any post-rehab appointments to keep you in check.
- The temptation to skip the meetings or beginning to feel that you can handle matters yourselves will certainly be there, but it will be easier to keep away or manage temptations when you receive health and support from the professionals who guided you in the first place.
- Always be grateful for how far you have come in your recovery journey.
- It can be easier to recognise the many things that we can be thankful for when we develop a strong appreciation for the life we have been given.
- Five circumstances that bring joy and satisfaction should be documented every passing day.
- Replace Old Bad Habits With New Healthy Habits
- The European Journal of Social Psychology reported on a study indicating that people require at least 60 days to form a habit so it is important to start a new one as soon as possible.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Partake In Sober Activities Instead Of Using
It is critical that you replace your old habits with new positive habits, which will be helpful during the recovery.
Activities which promote sobriety do not have to be boring because there is plenty of fun, which can be had without the use of drugs and alcohol.
If you are wondering whether you should be going back to the rehab or feel a need for some help to stay on a sober path after the rehab, please contact us now on 0800 246 1509 for the help you need.
The following are some of the things you can take part in
- Physical fitness activities
- Take part in games
- Spending time in museum
- Educate yourself
- Learn a new language
Join Social Groups For A Support Feeling
Seek for the nearest available support organization in your area and take advantage of the services offered. Mingle with positive people and sign up for personal or group discussions.
The 12 stages programs, counselling sessions and Narcotics Anonymous are some of the support groups that you can join today.
Partying Around Drugs And Alcohol While Remaining In Control
Temptations are easy to come by during the initial stages after a recovery has been completed, and individuals at this stage will be more vulnerable to succumb to temptation, therefore, it is best completely to avoid getting into situations when the temptations could be triggered. When you are in a place where access to drinks or other possible substances is uninhibited, then you may just well forget about sobriety.
In cases where you are cornered to deal with alcohol, you may just be able to save yourself from it.
Social gatherings are tempting places but you can overcome it in the following ways
- Keep yourself accompanied with a trusted confidant.
- Drink beverages free of alcohol and keep a glass of such a drink in your hand all the time.
- Minimise the time you spend within the party by arriving late or leaving early.
- In cases where you find the urges to grow stronger, it is best to leave and find a sober place.
The Advantages To Be Derived From Getting And Staying Clean
Health is one of the primary benefits to keep yourself clean and sober. Aside the bodily advantage, a lot more can be gained from abstinence. The reasons to remain sober include
- Making new and sober friends
- Enjoying your financial wealth
- Clarity in mind and new excitement for life
- Extra energy to indulge in activities which you enjoy
- Having a positive look
- Being a mentor for people that are also trying to stop the use of drugs
Of all the battles you might fight, overcoming alcohol or substances abuse might be the most difficult. It certain that it is not a straightforward and easy process. Achieving sobriety will give you new confidence and you will find that you are now able to take challenges under which you used to buckle before.
Direction is more important than speed when you start your recovery. Recollection of reasons you decided to stop using at the beginning helps when faced with urges to backslide.