Defining Holistic Therapy
Holistic therapies are one way through which a person can get over the dependency on the drugs.
The known techniques of overcoming addiction can be used to with holistic therapy which does not involve the use of medicine. Holistic methods helps bring the body, mind and spirit into balance.
Nutrition, meditation and exercise are some of the methods utilized in rehabilitation centres that also provide holistic therapies.
Holistic therapy addresses the whole being of the patient including the physical, emotional and mental withdrawal symptoms.
Holistic methods can include
- Chinese tai chi chuan
- Spiritual therapy
- Scheduled exercises
- Proper nutrition
- Therapy using Art
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Overcoming Drug Dependency Using Holistic Therapy
Holistic therapy focuses on an individual at a time and does not involve medical methods to help the patient. Holistic doctors treat not only symptoms of mental and physical addiction but also nutritional and emotional problems.
A recovering drug user may be experiencing lack of sleep, emotional problems and many other problems that can be treated using holistic therapy. The plans offered by holistic therapy are flexible and are catering for the requirements of every individual.
Among goals of holistic medicine are the following
- Find out the psychological issues behind the addiction
- Help the recovering user to better deal with their cravings
- Encouraging physical exercises
- Developing self-assurance
- Decreasing the attractiveness of alcohol and drugs
Examples Of Holistic Therapies Used To Treat Addiction
Holistic therapy addresses the various areas that constitute a healthy lifestyle.
Therapies that are commonly utilized include
- Therapy For Nutrition
- Successful recovery is much easier if a person has a healthy body.
- Embarking on a healthy diet helps the addicted patient start on the recovery journey.
- It is not too late to start taking a good nutrition.
- Keeping The Body In Shape Technique
- Regular exercising helps the body learn to work with routine, reduces fatigue and gives strength to the body.
- In many centres that offer holistic therapy, exercise is an important part of the treatment.
- There are various activities depending on the centre and some include activities such as hiking, canoeing, climbing and riding horses.
- A clear mind is important when trying to recover from addiction.
- Supervised meditation is an integral section of most holistic plans for addiction treatment.
- A number of centres are also offering yoga, and tai chi has meditative practices to help inpatient residents increase their focus and clarity to the mind.
- Acupuncture And Massage Therapy
- Massage is yet another commonly applied holistic treatment method since it helps to relax the body.
- Acupuncture is also used in restoring the body of a long-time addict.
Traditional treatment methods always provide the basis on which effective holistic treatment programs are designed. Medical supervision often becomes a necessity when looking forward to managing withdrawal symptoms from quitting alcohol and other central nervous system [CNS] depressants.
Holistic therapy may be used at the same time as
- Medically supervised detox
- Medical attention
- Private psychiatric counselling
Many addicts who are looking forward to recovering also to attend twelve-step groups like Narcotics Anonymous And Alcoholics Anonymous for the emotional support they need.
Holistic Treatment Centres Near You
Holistic treatment technique is now being used in many rehab centres all over the world. This is mainly because it is effective when used with the other known techniques of overcoming drug addiction. Cognitive-behavioural therapy combines well with meditation and yoga sessions which can provide help for recovering addicts to manage stress levels. Knowing what to do during an emotional moment helps in assisting the patient not to go to the solace of drug or alcohol.
When these factors are combined with a medically supervised detox and mental health counselling therapies of the holistic nature can be helpful in treating addictions regardless of the severity levels. You can find a treatment program that is designed based on your needs in many treatment centres near you.
We can help you to find a treatment centre that offers what you need so give us a call today on 0800 246 1509.