Defining Motivational Enhancement Therapy
Motivational Enhancement Therapy has assisted many people to recover by emphasizing change that is internally motivated in their targeted therapy sessions.
Modifying the inner motivation is the main objective of the MET and to do it, it uses a counselling and intervention. MET is regularly joined with different types of directing for dependent individuals, for example, the 12-Step treatment technique. MET is made up of four focused rehabilitation periods following the first evaluation. Every session is customized to the need of the person. Initial meetings concentrate on assessing details from the first evaluation and determining aims for the time to come. Encouragement to stay clean and a different perspective on this are provided in the sessions that come afterwards.
The addicts are taught the most effective way to modify their conducts and thoughts by the MET.
Treating Addiction Using Motivational Enhancement Therapy
When an addict checks himself or herself into a drug rehab centre they undergo an evaluation to determine their specific treatment needs. As the patient withdraws from the drug, the doctors check their vital signs and keep track of any changes in their body.
Later, with the idea of teaching the addicts to modify their conducts and behaviour the MET therapist enter in the process.
MET additionally aids in curing coexisting psychological conditions. Because drug use can result in the brain chemistry being altered, it is very common to find other mental health problems in people with addictions. Motivational Enhancement Therapy could aid in curing dependency and a coexisting condition simultaneously to put a stop to later setback.
Some of the mental health problems that can be treated using MET are
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder [PTSD]
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Other Treatments With Met
MET is usually applied as component of an in depth dependency cure scheme together with many other therapies for behaviour, such as CBT or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and 12 step programs. The objective of these techniques is to guide the patient through behavioural change through the use of specific techniques. For example, while the primary focus of CBT relies upon teaching patients to cope with strategies for stress, the 12-step program outlines specific steps with the sole intention to help addicts to become and stay sober.
Met Therapy And Methods
Patients and therapists will work together through the five critical elements of MET.
These are tactics which were proven to promote sense of motivational changes in individuals encountering substance abuse.
- Developing And Expressing Empathy
- Individuals are urged to understand and create compassion to know how their acts influence other people.
- This may be utilised as a driving element for adjustment.
- Trust can also develop between the patient and therapist if empathy develops.
- Accepting divergence among ideas and actuality.
- It is important that patients accept the reality that they are not really where they think they are in life if they are to be more receptive to the treatment.
- It can be very revealing for the patient to notice this and this can prove a powerful motivation for them to change.
- Avoiding Confrontation
- How hard the addicts have used the drugs is not a theme of discussion during the sessions.
- A positive approach to MET is always encouraged in the patients.
- Tolerating resistance as a component of the procedure.
- MET helps dependent individuals work through their imperviousness to dependence treatment.
- Therapists help the patients to come to terms with the real effect of their addiction on their personal lives and that of others by trying to relate to them at a personal level.
- Supporting A Recovering Addict's Self-Efficacy
- Recovering addicts are required to develop the belief they need in their ability in order to achieve their goals.
- MET can provide patients the education that is required to make them understand that they have the power to overcome the addiction and to strive towards their goals in life.
- Therapists support positive contemplations and practices that fortify.
Get Support For A Drug Or Alcohol Dependency
We could assist if you or a loved one is experiencing liquor or substance dependency. Mental health is an important aspect of the whole process, and a lot of rehab centres know it. Finding the motivation to get sober and even more importantly to stay sober can be critical for long-term recovery. We are here to aid you, contact us on 0800 246 1509.